3.25.2010

American Idol: My Top 10 Evaluation

Last night America voted, and tonight, after another excruciating long and drawn out results show, we are down to the top ten contestants. These ten will not only go forward and compete for the coveted title of American Idol, but all ten will be featured in the national American Idol Tour which takes places after the winner is crowned. So I think this is an appropriate time to give my own opinions on the talents and abilities of the ten remaining contestants.

But before I do that, let me make one thing clear. This season in no way compares to last season, or many seasons before that. Perhaps I'm spoiled because last season was just so damn good, but I simply cannot understand how at this point in the competition, so many contestants still have pitch problems. The first thing you need to be able to do to be a talented vocal performer is to be able to hear a pitch and repeat it. If you can't do that simple task, you don't deserve to be on stage in front of millions and millions of people singing for a shot at worldwide fame and fortune. It's truly absurd, and leads me to believe that the judges put too much focus on "star quality" and "image" and "IT factor" in the preliminary rounds, and end up eliminating people with better voices because they may not look or feel like they could be pop icons. I find it hard to believe that there weren't other people in the Hollywood rounds who are better singers than some of the people who have made it this far.

Anywho, here are my personal evaluations of the top ten contestants...

Andrew Garcia: Not a fan. This guy had one strong performance during the early stages of this show (the oft praised but perhaps overrated acoustic cover of Paula Abdul's "Straight Up"). Ever since then, he has been in a complete downward spiral, and I think it is only his jolly personality and unique look that is keeping the voters calling. To be honest, he does have an interesting timbre to his voice, and isn't as pitchy as some of the remaining contestants, but his range is limited and I think he is running out of ideas. On top of all that, his performance this week was cheese-tastic. Spot's Advice: Bring back your acoustic guitar, take away the back up music, but this time, slow it down. Get vulnerable and connect with the audience.

Crystal Bowersox: All I have to say is wow, wow, wow. Best in show thus far, without a doubt. Let's put it this way: this past week, Crystal sang "Me & Bobby McGee" by Janis Joplin. This is so NOT an American Idol song, but you know what? She took a classic song that I don't think anyone below the age of 16 would have ever heard before and made it relevant and sang it like an absolute all star. In other words, she killed it, just like she does every week! I absolutely love her, though I kind of agree with the judges only criticism that she needs to let loose a little more and connect more with the crowd. But she mentioned that she has some "big plans" for next week, and seeing as how the theme is R&B, I am very interested to see what she pulls out of her street-performer bag of tricks. Spot's Advice: I'd like to see something sans guitar, but honestly, I have no complaints. Keep doin' it and doin' it and doin' it well.

Didi Benami: So she isn't the best singer in the competition, but gosh darn it, I am head over heels in love with this chick. Not only is she drop dead gorgeous, but I also find her voice extremely sexy. Yes, she has some pitch problems, and yes, she isn't exactly original. But the judges have been going way to hard on Didi. Perhaps this past week's performance of "You're No Good" was little musical theater, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't blushing by the end of it (especially that face she made at the very end, wow-wee). No matter what the judges say, Didi is going to make to the top six, if on her sex appeal alone. Spot's Advice: She found the most success with her touching performance of Fleetwood Mac's "Rhiannon," so perhaps the best bet is something slow and acoustic. Nora Jones, anyone?

Lee Dewyze: People love this guy, and I want to, but I'm simply not smitten yet. He reminds me a lot of Danny Gokey from last season (who made it to the top three, for those of you who don't know). Very similar raspy-sounding voice, and he is beginning to let loose and show some energy up there, which I definitely appreciate. But his pitch problems and his limited range are holding him back. The judges really eat him up, and so does America, but I'm just not sold that he has the goods to go the distance until he works out his issues with pitch. Spot's Advice: Gotta focus on hitting those notes instead of sounding like a big gruff man-cake. Don't sacrifice accuracy for style and you could easily hit the top five.

Mike Lynche: Probably the best male vocalist. He's technically sound, has a great personality, and really knows himself as an artist. Very much the Reuben Studdard of this season, Mike is another fan favorite. My only worry is that his whole act is getting kind of stale. It's always a big, powerful soul ballad with some playful falsetto and nice vocal riffs. And while the judges like when the artists are true to themselves, I think America may get bored if we don't get a little variety from him. I mean, it is the spice of life, after all. Spot's Advice: It's not necessarily a style change we need, but a genre change. I'd love to see Mike rock out on a huge rock and roll song, and America will savor the diversity.

Siobhan Magnus: What a shocker, this one. This girl is one of the strangest, most awkward people I've ever watched on television. It's almost painful to watch her make impromptu conversation with Seacrest before and after she performs. But holy crap can this girl belt it out. Definitely the first contestant to have a real "WOW" moment (or as I like to call it: "pulling a Lambert"), I was all aboard the Siobhan railroad for the weeks prior, always excited to hear what crazy note she'd hit next. And while I still think she has some amazing pipes, this week left a sour taste in my mouth. It's like she is now relying on that scream-belt throughout the entire song, instead of building to it and letting it be the peak that it should be. This week, it was all just very sloppy and kind of phoned in. But she's got the talent to take her into the top 3, as long as America can stand her awkwardness. Spot's Advice: Choose your moments wisely. Every song should have a peak and a valley. Find the balance between too little and too much and you'll be here for a long time.

Casey James: Casey is a tough one to peg down. The only thing I can say with full confidence is that he is far and away the best guitarist to grace the stage. And while this does help his image and personality, American Idol is at its purest a singing competition. But that's not to say he doesn't have a good voice. It's just that, with all the rocking guitar, it's been a while since I've really heard it. I really liked him this past week, and I think he's got a much better range than Lee and Andrew, so he's got potential. And if my girlfriend is any measuring stick, he is apparently some sort of surfer-dude heartthrob. But until I hear more of his voice, I can't be sure on how long he'll last. Spot's Advice: Take next week's R&B theme as a chance to show off your voice, not your skills with an axe. Show the judges that you are more than a good guitarist and your stock will surely rise.

Aaron Kelly: I am see-sawing big time on this kid. On the one hand, I can't take him seriously. It's like David Archuletta all over again. He's a little 16-year old boy, and I can't help but feel like when he's on stage, his mother is backstage jumping up and down screaming things like "smile," "stand up straight," and "open your mouth big on those high notes." And before he made it to the top 12, I was ready for him to ship off. However, he has made a HUGE comeback since then, with a much more grown up look and 100% better song choices. In truth, the kid has undeniable talent (short of some pitch problems), and I'd like to see him continue forward and keep developing himself as an artist. And if he keeps showing up like he did last night (with laryngitis no less), he should last a few more weeks easily. Spot's Advice: Know your voice and pick the right songs for it. Something heartfelt and slow but with some power notes to belt out. Use last night as a guide and don't look back.

Tim Urban: Total snoozefest. The judges absolutely hate him, and I totally see why. He brings nothing fresh or original to the table. And last night's super corny floor sliding and reaching out to the audience was assuredly the nail in his coffin. However, there is one thing positive I can say about Tim, something my roommate and I realized during his performance yesterday: he isn't painful to listen to. In other words, the kid has a pleasant sounding voice, and unlike many of the other contestants, he doesn't really have pitch problems. But he's just so darn vanilla, he simply can't and won't last much longer. And cut your damn hair! It's worse than mullet boy Alex Lambert! Spot's Advice: Sing "Hallelujah" again. Hah. But seriously, that was the only thing that I've seen from you that was anything close to a winning performance.

Katie Stevens: Another example of someone who I really should love, but just am not completely sold on yet. Another teenager, this girl sings with a voice three times her age. It's deep, heavy, soulful, and at times, extremely powerful. However, I think she would do well from a bit more vocal training. She seems to have sub-par breath support which tends to interfere with her pitches. Also, and maybe it's just me, but sometimes it sounds like she is forcing the sound out through her eyes, not her diaphragm. It's hard to explain without listening to it, but it can sound very pushed. These criticisms aside, I do like her and think she is in the top half of the group as far as natural talent goes. And if she cleans up her vocals just a little bit more, I'll be totally and completely sold. Spot's Advice: You've got song choice down, there are just some minor technical kinks to work out. Focus on phrasing and you'll be around to see the top six without a doubt.

So there you have my opinions, but I'd love to hear your take! And as far as my pick for who gets the boot next week, if it's not either Tim or Andrew, there will be hell to pay, America. HELL!!

2 comments:

  1. The only reason Andrew Garcia is still there is because of his huge myspace and youtube following. He has a bunch of recorded sessions, with tons of hits, which took off once he got on the show. Even I could sounds like Beyonce with multiple takes and splicing. But the only thing that should matter is what happens on stage on Tuesday Nights.

    I have loved Lee since the beginning, almost as much as you love Didi, but I get concerned with boys who are "prettier" then I am, and with the makeovers starting, I am afraid he will wander into that Hollister-ish direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The top 5 SHOULD be:
    -Crystal
    -Didi
    -Big Mike
    -Lee
    -Siobhan
    but I have a weird feeling that Aaron or maybe even Katie will somehow bump someone out who deserves to be there, possibly Lee, and it will be Chris Daughtry's 4th place finish in season 5 all over again....grrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete