2.01.2011

The Killers: A Crash Course

Let me guess. When you hear someone mention The Killers, your mind goes straight to one place: "Mr. Brightside." Don't worry; it's a common ailment. I too was once a Killers neophyte, knowing very little about the Las Vegas band and their electronic dance-rock ways. But then I gave them a second glance, and I am a much better person for it. With their unique instrumentation, powerful vocals, and 80s influences, The Killers took no time becoming one of my favorite bands once I digested all of their music. And now that it has worked its way all the way through my tract, I am ready to ::ahem:: poop out a processed version for your listening pleasure. Gross. Awesome.

What I have done (and have done previously for other bands like Muse) is selected four tracks from each of the band's four major albums: the three studio albums Hot Fuss, Sam's Town, and Day & Age, and their collection of rerecorded B-sides and covers Sawdust. I have excluded from this list "Mr. Brightside" and "Somebody Told Me" because, well, let's be honest: if you haven't heard those songs, you probably wouldn't really be interested in a list like this anyway. Also, you probably don't have ears, which means you definitely wouldn't be interested in this list. Together, the 16 songs make up what is not only a great Killers mix, but also a fantastic snapshot of their greater library, nicely demonstrating the progress the band has made since their debut (though I am a firm believer that Hot Fuss, their first album, is by far their best). With this mix, you will know The Killers old and new, and can hang tough with even the most avid fans. Enjoy!

Hot Fuss (2004)
  • "Jenny Was a Friend of Mine"
  • "All These Things That I've Done"
  • "On Top"
  • "Change Your Mind"
Sam's Town (2006)
  • "When You Were Young"
  • "This River is Wild"
  • "Sam's Town"
  • "Bones"
Sawdust (2007)
  • "All the Pretty Faces"
  • "Leave the Bourbon on the Shelf"
  • "Move Away"
  • "Under the Gun"
Day & Age (2008)
  • "Spaceman"
  • "Losing Touch"
  • "The World We Live In"
  • "I Can't Stay"




Well, there you have it. And if you get hooked, keep you eyes on the interwebs--it seems The Killers will be reconvening in May to finish work on their fourth studio album.

No comments:

Post a Comment